Wednesday, March 2, 2011

time flies when you are perpetually feeding babies

Photobucket



Shock and Awe are six weeks old today. When I started this post they were 6 weeks old..
I feel a little sad about that. And also victorious. We survived six weeks of newborn twins! Gold star! Six weeks is a milestone. The babies are awake and alert and sucking in their world, no longer newborns. They each have their own little personalities quite distinct from each other. Awe the little social butterfly fixated on people. Shock is generally more mellow and easier to pacify. My body is largely healed although FOREVER changed. Bikini and me will never be friends again. I am no longer an OB patient and don't plan on ever being one again. The new baby stage is one we will now watch others go through and not be in. And I am excited about that! Never, ever thought I would be excited about baby gear leaving my house!

Shock and Awe have overall been an easier adjustment than I imagined. I geared myself up for long bouts of crying and sleeplessness. And it is that at times, but mostly it's just repetition. Feed one baby, burp, change, feed next baby, burp, change, play with baby a, play with baby b, coax baby a to nap, coax baby b to nap. Repeat, often with no downtime in between. They are pretty crummy nappers during the day but they sleep well at night. While we have been figuring out nursing, I have let them do there own thing during the day. If there has been one thing that has been much harder than I thought it would be nursing. It literally sucks. There is a lot of crying on every one's part. They cry to eat, I cry while they eat. I'll spare you the gory details but lets just say it's a repetitive use injury and 6 weeks in I am still chugging tylenol around the clock with tylenol 3 at night just to take the edge off. I am trying to hang in there a little longer and at least get them through RSV season.

I had my 6 week appointment with my OB yesterday. Mister Shock's crazy delivery is one my OB will never forget and I am sure never wants to repeat. At the very least, his experience and quick actions spared my son brain damage and at the very most saved his life. There just really aren't words for how grateful we are. God was certainly there in that room protecting little shock and guiding the doctor's hands. It was cool to show my OB that Shock is great! Normal! Healthy! since last time he saw him he was still in the NICU under oxygen and struggling.

0 comments: